ROAD TRAFFIC (VEHICLES) REGULATIONS 2014
Steer Axle Mass Declaration 2018
I, Hon Rita Saffioti MLA, Minister of Transport, acting pursuant to regulation 457 of the Road Traffic (Vehicles) Regulations 2014, hereby declare that the following regulations do not apply to vehicles of the kind specified in this Declaration, subject to the conditions specified in this Declaration—
(a) Regulation 164(4), regarding mass limits for single axles and axle groups;
(b) Regulation 164(7)(c), regarding the sum of the mass on axle groups and single axles; and
(c) Regulation 166(2), regarding mass limits for combinations.
1. Revocation of the previous Declaration
The 7.0 Tonne Steer Axle Declaration 2016 is revoked.
This Declaration is the Steer Axle Mass Declaration 2018.
This Declaration takes effect on the day that it is published in the Government Gazette.
In this Declaration—
GCM means Gross Combination Mass;
GVM means Gross Vehicle Mass; and
heavy vehicle means a vehicle with a GVM that exceeds 22.5 tonnes.
(1) This Declaration only applies to a heavy vehicle that is—
(a) fitted with a single steer axle group; or
(b) fitted with a twin steer axle group with a load-sharing suspension system.
(1) A heavy vehicle fitted with a single steer axle group may exceed 6.0 tonnes, provided—
(a) it does not exceed 6.5 tonnes and is fitted with tyres of at least 295 mm in width; or
(b) it does not exceed 7.0 tonnes and is fitted with tyres of at least 375 mm in width.
(2) A heavy vehicle fitted with a twin steer axle group may exceed 11 tonnes, provided—
(a) it does not exceed 12.0 tonnes and is fitted with load sharing suspension and tyres of at least 375 mm in width.
(3) The allowable GVM and GCM of a heavy vehicle will be increased by the equivalent steer mass, as provided by this Declaration.
(4) A mass rating specified by the manufacturer of a component on the heavy vehicle must not be exceeded.
(5) A heavy vehicle must be suitably rated to carry the additional load without any modifications, unless the CEO of Transport has approved the modifications.
Hon RITA SAFFIOTI MLA, Minister for Transport.
Government of Western Australia
State Law Publisher. All contents Copyright (C) 2003.
All rights reserved. Disclaimer