8. Position on the Earth's surface
(1) Where, for the purposes of this Act or the regulations, or for the purposes of an instrument under this Act or the regulations, it is necessary to determine the position on the surface of the Earth of a point, line or area, that position is to be determined by reference to the prescribed Australian datum.
(2) A datum may be prescribed for all or some of the purposes referred to in subsection (1), and different datums may be prescribed for different purposes.
(3) Regulations that prescribe a datum for a purpose referred to in subsection (1), or amend that datum or prescribe another datum to replace that datum, may make any transitional or savings provisions that are necessary or convenient to be made ¾
(a) in relation to permits, drilling reservations, leases, licences, special prospecting authorities or access authorities granted before the regulations take effect;
(b) in relation to applications for permits, drilling reservations, leases, licences, special prospecting authorities or access authorities pending when the regulations take effect; or
(c) for any other purpose.
(4) Regulations referred to in subsection (3) may modify or otherwise affect the operation of this Act.
[Section 8 inserted by No. 54 of 2000 s.7(2).]