6. Appointment of chief executive officer and other officers
(1) There shall be appointed under and subject to Part 3 of the Public Sector Management Act 1994 an officer of the Department who has immediate responsibility to the chief executive officer for the administration of this Act.
(2) In the event of the illness, suspension or other absence from duty of the Executive Director (Corrective Services) or if his office is for any reason vacant, the Minister for Public Sector Management 2 shall after consultation with the Minister appoint a person to act as Executive Director (Corrective Services) during such illness, suspension, other absence from duty or vacancy.
(3) There may be appointed under and subject to Part 3 of the Public Sector Management Act 1994 such officers including medical practitioners as medical officers, other than prison officers engaged under section 13, as are required for the purposes of this Act.
(4) Without limiting the appointment of medical officers referred to in subsection (3), the chief executive officer may ¾
(a) appoint under contracts of service; or
(b) engage under contract for services,
medical practitioners as medical officers.
(5) The Minister may for the purposes of this Act engage persons as employees and, subject to any industrial award or agreement that is applicable in relation to a particular case or class of cases, persons so engaged shall be employed on such terms and conditions as the Minister, on the recommendation of the Minister for Public Sector Management 2, determines.
(6) In this section ¾
}this Act~ does not include Part XA.
[Section 6 amended by No. 66 of 1982 s. 2; No. 47 of 1987 s. 5 and 11; No. 113 of 1987 s. 32; No. 47 of 1991 s. 7; No. 31 of 1993 s. 56; No. 32 of 1994 s. 3(2); No. 43 of 1999 s. 5.]