8. Application for licences
(1) A person who desires to obtain a licence or renewal thereof shall make application in the form prescribed.
(2)(a) Subject to subsection (10), the application shall be accompanied by ¾
(i) testimonials as to the character of the applicant signed by not less than 3 reputable persons; and
(ii) the prescribed fee.
(b) The prescribed fee shall be refunded to the applicant if the application is withdrawn or refused.
(3) The application shall be lodged with the Commissioner.
(4) Upon the receipt of an application for the grant or renewal of a licence the Commissioner shall as soon as practicable thereafter notify the Commissioner of Police, who ¾
(a) shall inquire into the character and suitability of the applicant to be a licensee; and
(b) shall report in writing thereon to the Commissioner.
(5)(a) The Commissioner of Police may object to the granting of the application and if he objects he shall include in his report a statement setting out that he objects and the grounds for his objection.
(b) Any objection made under paragraph (a), may be made only on one or more of the grounds upon which the Commissioner may refuse the grant or renewal of a licence under section 9.
(c) Where a report of the Commissioner of Police contains an objection, the Commissioner under this Act shall notify the applicant concerned in writing of the objection and afford the applicant the opportunity to make submissions in support of the application.
(6) The Commissioner, for the purposes of deciding an application for the grant or renewal of a licence under this Act , may consider evidence as to the character and suitability of the applicant to be a licensee and shall take into consideration the report referred to in subsection (4) and may grant or refuse the application.
(10) Where an application is made for the renewal of a licence the application is not required to be accompanied by such testimonials as to the character of the applicant as are referred to in subsection (2)(a)(i), unless the Commissioner so requires.
[Section 8 amended by No. 21 of 1966 s. 2; No. 55 of 2004 s. 221.]