(1) In this Act, unless the contrary appears ¾
}approved~, in relation to a form, means approved by the Commissioner;
}business premises~ means premises at which, under a licence ¾
(a) business may be conducted with members of the public; and
(b) goods may be stored;
}Commissioner~ means the person for the time being holding or acting in the office of Commissioner of Police appointed under the Police Act 1892;
}Department~ means the department of the Public Service principally assisting the Minister in the administration of this Act;
}licence~ means a pawnbroker's licence or a second-hand dealer's licence;
}licensee~ means a person who holds a licence;
}officer~, in relation to a body corporate, includes a director, secretary, executive officer or employee of the body;
}pawnbroker~ means a person conducting the business of ¾
(a) lending money on the security of pawned goods; or
(b) receiving goods under a contract for sale where the seller has a right to buy back the goods;
}pawn ticket~ means a statement required to be given under section 42;
}redemption period~ means the period referred to in section 50(1)(a)(i) or (ii), whichever applies in the particular case;
}second-hand dealer~ means a person conducting the business of buying, selling or exchanging second-hand goods, whether the goods are bought, sold or exchanged on the person's own behalf or on behalf of another person;
}second-hand goods~ means any goods which have been worn or otherwise used but does not include goods belonging to a class of goods prescribed by the regulations as goods not to be treated as second-hand goods for the purposes of this Act;
}storage premises~ means premises at which, under a licence, goods may be stored.
(2) In this Act a reference to goods in the possession of a person includes a reference to goods under that person's control.
(3) In this Act, unless the contrary appears, a reference to a contract is a reference ¾
(a) in the case of a pawnbroker, to a contract for the lending of money on the security of pawned goods or for the receiving of goods under a contract of sale where the seller has a right to buy back the goods; and
(b) in the case of a second-hand dealer, to a contract for the purchase, sale or exchange of second-hand goods.
(4) In this Act, unless the contrary appears, words importing the masculine gender also import the neuter.
(5) In this Act a reference to the purchase, sale or exchange of goods in relation to a second-hand dealer includes a reference to a purchase, sale or exchange, as the case may be, of goods by the dealer on behalf of another person.