11. Power to establish market
(1) The Authority may establish and maintain a public market and branches thereof in the metropolitan area, for the purpose of handling, grading, storing, disinfecting or fumigating, dealing in, selling or otherwise disposing of general produce and may permit land held by the Authority to be used and occupied for the purpose of providing such commercial, business, professional, trade and other facilities as the Authority considers necessary or desirable for the convenience of persons using the market, resorting thereto, or buying or selling therein.
(2) For such purposes the Authority may ¾
(a) acquire land, machinery, plant, goods, chattels, and effects;
(b) erect, maintain, and repair buildings with all necessary machinery and plant;
(ba) grant leases of land held by the Authority;
(c) construct, or have constructed, or rent, railway sidings and all necessary appurtenances thereto;
(d) make roads, market ways, and drains, and convenient approaches to the market;
(e) with the approval of the appropriate local government declare, by a notification in the Gazette, and constitute any portion of a public street adjacent to the market a part of the market for such times and subject to such conditions as may be prescribed.
(2a) Subject to the prior approval of the Minister, the Authority may from its funds make grants of money for purposes that, in the opinion of the Authority, will promote the sale of general produce.
(2b) A grant made under subsection (2a) may be made subject to such terms and conditions as the Authority thinks fit.
(3) Whenever any land is required by the Authority for the purposes of this Act, such land may be entered upon, surveyed, and taken in accordance with Part 9 of the Land Administration Act 1997, and that Act shall apply and may be availed of as if the Authority were a local authority.
(4) Except as provided under subsection (4a), land vested in the Authority shall be exempt from local government and other rates.
(4a) The Minister may by notice published in the Gazette declare any portion of land vested in the Authority ¾
(a) not to be exempt from local government and other rates; or
(b) to be exempt only in respect of such percentage of the local government and other rates as is specified in the notice,
and in such a notice may make different provision for different portions of the land.
(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of this Act as in force from time to time before the date of the coming into operation of the Metropolitan Market Act Amendment Act 1977 1, it shall be deemed that, before that date, the Authority always had all of the powers conferred on it by this Act as amended by that Act.
[Section 11 amended by No. 31 of 1962 s.2; No. 25 of 1977 s.2; No. 77 of 1981 s.7; No. 29 of 1987 s.11; No. 6 of 1990 s.7; No. 14 of 1996 s.4; No. 31 of 1997 s.142.]