28. Aboriginal Cultural Material Committee
(1) For the purposes of this Act there is hereby established an advisory body by the name of the Aboriginal Cultural Material Committee.
(2) The membership of the Committee consists of ¾
(a) appointed members, each of whom shall hold and vacate office in accordance with the terms of the instrument under which he is appointed; and
(b) ex-officio members.
(3) Of the appointed members, one shall be a person recognised as having specialised experience in the field of anthropology as related to the Aboriginal inhabitants of Australia and shall be appointed by the Minister after consultation with the persons responsible for the study of anthropology at such of the establishments of tertiary education situate in the State as the Minister thinks fit.
(4) Subject to subsection (3), the appointed members shall be selected from amongst persons, whether or not of Aboriginal descent, having special knowledge, experience or responsibility which in the opinion of the Minister will assist the Committee in relation to the recognition and evaluation of the cultural significance of matters coming before the Committee, and shall be appointed by the Minister from a panel of names submitted for the purposes of this Act by the Registrar.
(5) The Minister shall appoint the Chairman of the Committee from amongst the members of the Committee, but where the Chairman is absent from or unable or unwilling to preside at any meeting of the Committee the members present may elect one of their number to preside thereat and while so presiding that member has all the powers and duties of the Chairman.
[Section 28 amended by No. 8 of 1980 s. 9; No. 24 of 1995 s. 29.]