23D. Person to declare any plants or potential carriers
(1) In order to prevent any disease from being introduced into the State or into any part of the State every person entering the State in a prescribed manner must lodge a declaration in the prescribed form with an inspector at the nearest point of entry.
(2) A declaration referred to in subsection (1) must ¾
(a) specify any potential carrier which the person is bringing into the State;
(b) contain the information required by the form; and
(c) be signed in the manner specified in the form.
(3) An inspector may destroy any potential carrier brought into the State and the expenses incurred in disinfecting, destroying or otherwise disposing of or treating any potential carrier or in disinfecting or treating any container, vessel or conveyance in which the potential carrier was carried must be met by the owner or person in charge of the potential carrier, as the Director General directs.
(4) Where the owner or person in charge of the potential carrier, as the case may be, fails to meet the expenses of or incidental to any action taken by an inspector under subsection (3), the whole or any part of those expenses are recoverable from the owner or person in charge of the potential carrier in any court of competent jurisdiction.
(5) For the purposes of this section ¾
}nearest point of entry~ in relation to a person entering the State ¾
(a) on a vessel, means the first port of entry for the vessel or where the vessel is an aircraft, the first airport at which the aircraft lands; and
(b) in any conveyance or on foot, means the nearest prescribed inspection point;
}vessel~ means any ship, boat, aircraft or other description of vessel used in navigation by sea or air.
(6) A person who fails to lodge a declaration as required by subsection (1) commits an offence.
[Section 23D inserted by No. 40 of 1993 s. 15.]